Saturday, September 17, 2011

Bananas Galore and Recipe Test Kitchen Day

Today was a great day filled with new recipes! Bananas were on sale at Hy-vee this week for 39 cents a pound, so I stocked up. I peeled half of them and threw them in the freezer for smoothies later, and am using the rest for cooking and snacks. The first recipe I tried today was BiPolar Paleo's Peanut Butter Cup Smoothie. It was wonderful and such a great way to fend off those cravings for Reeses Peanut Butter Cups (definitely a weakness of mine!) If you have a Magic Bullet or one of those Ninja blenders, cleanup is easy too, since you're blending it in the cup you drink it in.
Total cost for this recipe: about 15 cents (I cut the recipe down and made enough for 1).

 My 14 year old wanted pancakes, so I thought I'd try these Almond Banana Pancakes from Mark's Daily Apple. They smelled great, and were delicious and filling, but they were so delicate that they were almost impossible to flip. I think this recipe either needs some kind of flour or a different cooking method- perhaps baked in the oven. I remember a recipe for a huge baked puffy pancake I used to make. Perhaps I could adapt it to solve the problem.
Total cost for this recipe: about 40 cents.

I also snagged pork loins on sale this week for 1.99 a pound, so I stocked up! I tested a recipe (actually two- an entree and side dish) I'm developing for the Make a Primal Blueprint Recipe Video Contest over at Mark's Daily Apple. Hoping to film it next week. I'll be posting pictures, recipes and videos after I've got it submitted. Wish me luck!
Estimated cost for this feast: $10-$12 with plenty of leftovers!

All in all it was a great primal day and I'm stuffed to the gills. Still holding at 5 pounds lost and lots of energy. Time to curl up on the couch with a cup of herbal tea and savor the remnants of the day. See you tomorrow!
 Kim :)

Photo courtesy of http://www.pachd.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment

Discussion is encouraged, but offensive comments will not be posted.